Newsflash
Sign up for a free account to take advantage of all the new features and to be able to post in the forums. There have been over 33,000 logged entries in the forums since 1998.  Check out the Fun and Magazine Stores.

Welcome, 1 kB
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Catching worms
digger123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Catching worms 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
Talk about fun. I just returned from a vacation up in oregon. Each night I would take a flash light to the park and catch nightcrawlers for my garden For each one I would catch I would see 5 more dive. No problem though as they were everywhere, and huge. About 100 to a pound. Just a little smaller than a pencil and just as long

I just introduced them to my garden this morning and they all seem happy. They are digging in and staying put. I probobly got three to four pounds.

Have you done this? To much fun. If I ever decide to raise captive earthworms I won't be buying them.

Happy worming\
Darren

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
avidwormer (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Catching worms 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
I was considering the same thing, while mowing the grass the other day. We have large patches where nothing grows well. We would most likely be catching the Canadian nightcrawler up here and I'm not sure what their maximum population density would be. I wonder how well the worms will do.

I'm sure that by implanting an area, you may see quite a dramatic change within a year or two. Do keep us posted.

Did you use red cellophane over your flashlight? Do you have any tips for catching them?

Avidwormer
digger123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
I used a led headlamp. No filter over it. What worked best for me was trial and error. For some reason the ones in the grass were light sensitive, on the other hand the ones in the flower beds could care less about the light. that is where I had the best luck.

gnosnhoj (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Catching worms 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 20  
Hope the local park gardeners up there aren't wormers, Darren; they might take offense to your relocation project.

Y'all have fun, whatever you're doing.
Gary
Hopkinsville, KY
digger123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
I'm thinking they may be. I would be willing to bet there are no synthetic fertilizers going on there.
I have never seen so many worms.

The feelings of the park workers are less important than the worms. I went out to my garden today and asked them how they are doing.

They seem happy with thier new compost horse manure dressing on top of the garden.

digger123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
I'm thinking they may be. I would be willing to bet there are no synthetic fertilizers going on there.
I have never seen so many worms.

The feelings of the park workers are less important than the worms. I went out to my garden today and asked them how they are doing.

They seem happy with thier new compost horse manure dressing on top of the garden.

Go to top Post Reply