Newsflash
Sign up for a free account to take advantage of all the new features and to be able to post in the forums. There have been over 33,000 logged entries in the forums since 1998.  Check out the Fun and Magazine Stores.

Welcome, 1 kB
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:worm feed
James Davis (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
worm feed 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: -1  
I have access to a distributor who distributes corn-meal,oatmeal,and seafood breader. Some of the corn-meal is medium hot breader and the seafood breader is cajun spice. Will these be okay to feed the worms or not? Thanks and God Bless!
In His Service,
James

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kuznles (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:worm feed 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2  
I have never fed anything with hot spices to my worms James, according to the late Charlie Morgan, pepper and spices are not good for the worms. Charlie was working with worms and doing his experiments before most of todays worm growers were born. I do know that salt will kill the worms so if the meal has spices my suggestion would be to try it with a small number of worms before going all the way.

KuznLes

Kountrykuznworms.com
Bob Ingram (Visitor)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:worm feed 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3  
Yessir, James, I agree with Les on trying a little at a time..you might try putting a few 'sacrificial' worms in a seperate bin...any grain product will heat up when moistened, I'd sprinkle lightly on top of the beds when feeding. seeya, Bob

redhen (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:worm feed 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27  
When I go pick up discarded produce at a local grocery store I have, sometimes very hot peppers in the mix. I always thought that the worms would not like it or maybe even the peppers would burn them, but I put them in some just to see how long they would remain. They seem to go away very fast. I must have some spicy worms.
I would be more concerned with adding a big amount of grain to an enclosed, plastic type bin as it will heat things up fast and the worms have no way to get away from the heat. I would put it in my in-ground bins because the worms could move away until things cool down. They do love the grain!

Susan Quinby-Honer redhen@nc.rr.com
Starve the Landfill...Feed the Earth.
Bob Ingram (Visitor)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Yes maam, they do love the grain...I think it's important to point out here that bread, cornmeal, flour, pancake mixes, etc. are grain products, and they WILL heat. Feed em sparingly. Seeya, Bob

Bob Ingram (Visitor)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
By the way, I've also fed fresh spicey foods; peppers, garlic, onion, etc., but never in huge quantities,with no ill effects. As these products start to decompose, they'll get right in em. I once buried a whole purple onion in a windrow, and checked it in only three days; the darn thing was swarming with worms. Seeya, Bob

Go to top Post Reply